Come out and share your ideas in this public workshop on the redesign of the Shops at Sunset.
Saturday, August 25, 2018
On Aug 28 Vote YES on #240
1. Democracy relies on the trust the people place on their elected leaders: the opinions of the majority or in this case, supermajority, is a more democratic alternative to the unanimous vote. Democracy does not work on the basis of 100% agreement.
2. Our downtown needs help. The Shops at Sunset Place, is the unique and one of a kind large parcel in our downtown by the South Miami Metrorail Station. The taller portions of the revitalized Sunset Place are along US1, our urban boulevard. New residents and inhabitants will bring much needed people to support our downtown businesses, and would help with the momentum boosting our city merchants and restaurants., This change, if implemented, will not effect residential areas; South Miami must not pass up on this opportunity
3. But it is not just up to the Shops to carry 100% of the burden for re-energizing our struggling downtown. Here are other ways the City can demonstrate it supports our downtown:
- Allow portions of our downtown streets to open to pedestrian only traffic at certain times of the week (during the weekend, etc.), allowing businesses to spill onto the sidewalks and streets in a convivial way.
- Our current shuttle has a limited route, and there is no predicting its whereabouts. An expanded route and an app to determine its location will help. Open electric vehicles like the Downtowner with its on-demand free shuttle for South Miami residents will also assist residents to visit our downtown. We can encourage walking and biking to downtown; it’s easy to walk to destinations 15 mins or less away ("Walk 10,000 steps a day for wellness"). It’s easy to bike to destinations 1-2 miles away. Sometimes we forget that South Miami is only 3 square miles!
- Make it easy for small properties to add much needed urban, transit-served apartments, studio apartments, and additional office space. Relax parking requirements in the smaller parcels, or even allow the market to determine how much parking, if at all, to provide. That way, the City can reward property owners, future residents, and future office workers that desire to live a car-optional lifestyle.
4. Let’s ignite the spark and give the love and support for our city’s healthy downtown on August 28th! Voting YES on #240 is the path forward!
--The South Miami Neighbors board
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Monday, February 27, 2017
What would it look like? What would it take?
Join us for a South Miami Community
Conversation on Climate Change
Monday, March 6, 2017
Tea & Poets, Shops at Sunset, South Miami
Stop in between 6:00 - 9:00 PM
Speakers, Exhibits, Conversation Tables
Link to Facebook Event page or call Gray Read 305 205 4814
Sponsors: South Miami City Commission
FIU College of Communication, Architecture + the Arts
Sunday, February 12, 2017
Here are a few photos from today's potluck at All America Park. We had a great turnout with old friends and new and everyone brought wonderful dishes to share. Some of our City Commissioners and the Mayor were also in attendance.